The main tasks of the assignment:
• You are required to analyze a 2013 annual report of Qatari listed company. The analysis is based on the cost and management accounting concepts and techniques that you have learned in ACCT331 course.
• Please notice that you may need to make some assumptions for some of the information that may not be available in the annual report (e.g., the number of units produced and sold, number of the performed activities in the company for the purpose of the ABC system).
• To download the annual report, go to Qatar Exchange Website (qe.com.qa). Choose listed securities — Financial statements — Choose 2013 and then submit — download the company’s annual report that you would like to analyze (Please
make sure that you download the ANNUAL report and NOT the Quarterly
• The Following Chapters are included for the project purposes:
Chapter 2: (you need to differentiate between the F.C and V.C, direct and indirect costs). Chapter 7: (Flexible Budgets, Direct-Cost Variances, and Management Control). Chapter 17: (Process Costing).
Chapter 12: (Pricing Decisions and Cost Management).
Chapter 13: (Strategy, Balanced Scorecard, and Strategic Profitability Analysis). Chapter 23: (Performance Measurement and Compensation).
The structure of the report should include the following:
– Introduction about the company which includes an overview about the company’s activities, products, its location…etc.
– For each chapter, the group needs to provide a precise analysis and conclusions. For instance, Chapter 17 includes weighted average (WA) and first-in-first-out (FIFO). Thus, the students should apply the two methods and provide a justification regarding which method will help the company to report higher profit in 2013 AND the implication of choosing each of the two methods on the following year(s).
– Some information on units produced and sold may not be available in the annual report that you are going to download. Therefore, please use the following assumptions:
• Units Sold: Range of 500,000 – 800,000 units
• Units Produced: Range of 800,000 – 1000,000 units
• WIP Beginning inventory: Range of 100,000 – 150,000 units
• WIP Ending Inventory: Range of 200,000 – 250,000 units
• % of Completion is 60% of Conversion Costs for Beginning and 50% for Ending
• Use the annual report for 2013 as the actual results and information reported in
2012 column as the budget for 2013. You will find the financial information of 2012 in the annual report of 2013. The Qatari companies include the previous year’s information in the financial report for comparison purposes.
• Further assumptions can also be made. Please feel free to ask your instructor for further advice during the office hours.
• The consistency among the various sections of the report is Crucial. For instance, whether the group considers the ‘rent expenses’ or ‘utilities expenses’ as a fixed or variable cost, they should follow this classification for all the chapters of the assignment. Another example is the number of units produced, sold, and the number of units in the WIP should be used consistently for the whole chapters covered in the assignment.